Runway Monday: Let’s Go Glamping! (PR 12:6)

Apparently “glamping” (glamour + camping) is a thing now, and that’s what the designers did on the most recent episode of Lifetime’s Project Runway. After spending a day and night outside the city in nature–in fancy tents, with wine and food prepared for them, and marshmallow roasting added to adventures like zip-lining and a bit of mild whitewater rafting, they returned to Manhattan with ideas for their designs inspired by their time outdoors.

No one took me glamping, but I faintly recall days outside that weren’t soul-killingly hot and filled with mosquitos. What I remember loving best is the play of sunlight on water. I used those images to create a high-end look for Barcelona.

Barcelona wears an overdress of net, sequins, and ribbon over a green-glittered sheath.

Her cascading hair and the epaulette effect on the shoulders of her dress mimic water falling.

Her Mattel shoes pick up the green and gold colors of the fabrics.

Detail of the glittering overdress. This fabric really shimmers when it moves under lights.

A glistening water nymph.

I hope you enjoyed this week’s look. See you next time on the runway!

Previous designs this season:

Episode 12:5: YOU Choose Your Materials!
Episode 12:4: Tie the Knot
Episode 12:3: An Unconventional Coney Island
Episode 12:2: Million Dollar Runway
Episode 12:1: Sky’s The Limit

10 Responses to Runway Monday: Let’s Go Glamping! (PR 12:6)

Thank god, you didn’t have any foaming body parts. (Though it was the best line on PR all this summer.) Your design was a bedazzling gown loaded with glamour.

Excellent work – you do water in a most glam way!

I really liked this episode! It was nice to see them out of the work room and actually enjoying each others company and not just some of the bitchery – although you know I love some of that.

I am disappointed in the Tim Gunn Save though, I like Justin, but I think his work has been mediocre at best. What happens when Dom, or another designer who’s work has been excellent is aufed … I have concerns that Gunn did the sentimental thing.

Thanks! I think this doll is glam anyway, so it was fun to make something nice for her.

I didn’t mind that he used his save because now that possibility is gone, and it’s GAME ON. I always like it when winners stop being safe, too. Everybody should give their all each week.

3. Gary says:

Very lovely! Elegant, yet simple.

I agree with Marika about Tim; I think his save was based more on emotion than on design. Justin is a sweetheart, but, like Marika, his work hasn’t impressed me. Has he been in the top 3 at all? I can’t recall.

4. brie says:

Lovely gown, it definitely brings to mind the play of sunlight on water.

And did you know that there is a Project Project Runway group on flickr?

Thanks!

I just went and checked it out. It’s funny that she and I both chose the same pink animal from the 99cent store for one of the challenges, though I think she used balloons, instead, on her final design.